The Hays County Commissioners Court is moving forward with the development of County Roadway and State Highway Systems projects identified in the November 2016 bond referendum.
Progress has already begun for a handful of Hays County projects, including safety improvements on U.S. 290 in Dripping Springs at Holder Lane and Trautwein Road. Officials have also begun with design and construction of a shared-use path between Belterra Drive and Cool Spring Way along Sawer Ranch Road in Dripping Springs.
In the Wimberley area, county officials have also begun the process for improvements along FM 3237 from the intersection of FM 150 to Ranch Road 12.
“We’re as eager as our residents are to get these projects underway and help get ahead of the tremendous growth we’re experiencing,” said Precinct 2 Commissioner Mark Jones. “Design and management are first steps prior to the actual construction of these mobility and safety projects.”
Voters approved $131.4 million for road improvements throughout the county. This past summer, the county sold $25 million in bonds to fund the first phase of project design, right-of-way acquisition, and construction, at an interest rate of 3.43 percent.
The figure came below the originally estimated 4 percent.
Hays County’s bond advisor noted there was a lot of interest in purchasing Hays County bonds from both previous and new investors due to its AA bond rating, operating performance and economic growth outlook.
Hays County Road Bond Projects
- FM 621 – Safety improvements from CR 266 (Old Bastrop Highway) to Crystal River Parkway.
- FM 3237 – Safety improvements from Hays City Store (intersection of FM 150 and FM 3237) to RM 12 (similar to work previously accomplished along FM 2325 between Jacob’s Well Road and Wimberley and along RR 12 between San Marcos and the Junction at RR 12/RM 32 intersection).
- FM 2001 – Extension, safety improvements, and realignment of existing roadway beginning at White Wing Trail and terminating at SH 21, to include the incorporation of portions of Graef and Rhode roads into the State Highway System.
- FM 967 – Safety improvements from I-35 to the Union Pacific Railroad crossing.
- FM 967 – Safety improvements at Buda Sportsplex Drive, Hays CISD third high school, and Oak Forest Drive intersections.
- US 290 – Safety improvements at the Trautwein Road and Holder Lane intersections.
- FM 3237 and RM 12 – Intersection improvements at Winters Mill Parkway.
- FM 150 – Design of realignment of FM 150 from west of Arroyo Ranch Road to I-35 (at Yarrington Road).
- FM 110 – Design of an overpass at the intersection of FM 110 and SH 123.
Additionally, multiple projects are in progress on the County road system, including:
- Dacy Lane – Program management, right-of-way acquisition, and surveying in preparation for future realignment and safety improvements.
- Low Water Crossings – Multiple projects in Precincts 1, 2, and 4, including crossings on Bunton Lane, Cotton Gin Road, Turnersville Road, Grist Mill Road, Chaparral Road, Sycamore Creek Road and Bear Creek Pass.
- Fischer Store Road – Safety improvements at the FM 2325 intersection.
- Lime Kiln Road – Design of two bridge class structures to replace existing low-water crossings between Post Road and Hilliard Road on Sink Creek and the San Marcos River.
- Sawyer Ranch Road – Design and construction of a shared-use pathway between Belterra Drive and Cool Spring Way.