Historic Kyle home burns down on New Year’s Day

Kyle residents witnessed the loss of an historic Kyle house one day after ringing in the New Year.

A fire of unknown origin blazed and burned down the house on the corner of Center and Sledge streets on Jan. 1, 2018.

In years past, the armory for the Kyle seminary, which was erected in 1881, was located on that site. Later, the structure was home to the Hays family, to the former postmistress Miss Cornelia Wallace, the daughter of Kyle settler H.C. Wallace, and to the Cutler family.

Kyle Fire Chief Kyle Taylor confirmed reports that there were no injuries associated with the fire. He said the house was unoccupied at the time of the fire and was undergoing remodeling.

Taylor said the KFD got the call for the fire at 501 West Center Street at 6:45 p.m. on Jan.1 and were on scene at 6:47 p.m. and did not leave the scene until 12:27 a.m. the next day.

The historic house, believed to be built some time in the 1920s, is considered a total loss. According to Taylor, the home was not the owners’ primary residence, so, at this time, the family is not in need of assistance.

Witnesses reported that Center Street was closed for approximately six hours while fire crews from Buda, Kyle, San Marcos and North Hays worked to subdue the flames.

Witnesses say they saw a flash of light in the attic before the blaze erupted but Taylor said the Hays County Fire Marshal is still investigating the source of the fire.

Taylor also said that, at this time, they are ruling out anything suspicious as the cause for the fire.

Updates on this story will be available on our website as the investigation progresses.

Comment on this Article

About Author

Comments are closed.