Structure fire near Uhland ruled accidental

UPDATE – 10:37 a.m. April 13 

A massive fire that destroyed a Uhland area home April 11 was caused by a homeowner working on their exterior deck, according to Hays County Fire Marshal Clint Browning.

Browning said the fire, which was ruled accidental, then quickly spread into the structure and destroyed the home, located in the 9000 block of Highway 21. None of the five occupants inside of the home at the time of the fire were injured.

Authorities spent the better part of four hours combating the blaze, which led to the closure of a portion of Highway 21 for a short time. Assisting the Kyle Fire Department were crews from Chisholm Trail, Buda, Maxwell, San Marcos, Wimberley, South Hays and North Hays fire departments. Browning and Hays County’s Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) was also on scene.

Earlier that afternoon, the Kyle Fire Department extinguished a structure fire in the 300 block of Goddard.

The fire, which was also ruled accidental, was caused by improper storage of smoldering materials, Browning said.

The fire led to heavy damage in the garage of the home, as well as smoke damage throughout. No one was injured in the incident.


No one was injured after a fire swept through and destroyed a home along Highway 21 Wednesday near Uhland.

According to authorities, Highway 21 between Old Lockhart Road and Cotton Gin Road has been closed as they remain on the scene.

Multiple fire crews from the Chisholm Trail, Buda and Kyle Fire Departments were on hand to assist in containing the blaze. Hays County Fire Marshal Clint Browning has ruled the fire accidental, with the home a total loss.

This story is developing. We will provide updates as they become available.

Comment on this Article

About Author

Comments are closed.