Kyle Garden Club celebrates 60 years

The Kyle Garden Club was organized in 1957 at the old Kyle City Hall, now renamed the Pete Krug Activity Center, with 18 members present. In 1958 the club was Federated into the National Garden Clubs, Inc. and it is currently a member of the South Central Region of National Garden Club.

Over the past 60 years the club has made many contributions to the community. They placed scores of gardening books in the Kyle Public Library, sponsored the landscaping of the old Kyle library and recently assisted with the landscaping of the new library, provided Brown Santa gifts to children, sent baskets to home-bound neighbors, held city litter pick up drives, made city flower boxes, donated toiletries to the Hays/Caldwell Women’s Shelter and awarded scholarships for Kyle graduating seniors. They have also participated in the landscaping of the historic city hall and the Kyle Depot as well as orchestrating dozens of plants sales and participating in Arbor Day celebrations.

Today the Kyle Garden Club’s focus has migrated from the emphasis on flower arranging to much broader areas of gardening.  Monthly speakers come and discuss topics ranging anywhere from indoor potting techniques, outdoor native and non native plants and trees, vegetables, herbs, roses, bamboo gardening, bird and butterfly plants to disease control and rainwater collection, as well as many many other topics. The club has always had a yearly plant and seed exchange and gone on tours of farms and gardens in the surrounding area.

The Kyle Garden Club is celebrating its 60th anniversary at its next regulate meeting on March 1 at the Pete Krug Activity Center with a tea party and the public is welcome and encouraged to attend. The club meets the first Friday of the month, September through May.

Comment on this Article

About Author

Comments are closed.