The Hays County Friends of the Night Sky (HCFNS) is forming now and looking for members.
Do you want to encourage better lighting in Hays County that reduces glare and protects our common view of the night sky?
The HCFNS is being formed to do just that, plus to support communities in Hays County which want to keep or obtain Dark Sky Place designations from the International Dark-Sky Association, encourage others in areas of Hays County not covered by designations or ordinances, and provide education to further these efforts.
Individuals interested in joining can submit their contact information online at this link: https://bit.ly/2PKv8qe
Those interested in setting the direction for the group should come to this initial organizational meeting at Hays City Store starting at 10:30 a.m. on Oct.22. RSVP for free tickets at www.eventbrite.com/e/hays-county-friends-of-the-night-sky-hcfns-initial-luncheon-tickets-71552057129
Preliminary thoughts for the group include:
• Provide public outreach with educational materials and demonstrations
• Draw on established resources to provide a youth education program in Hays County about better lighting and protection of the night sky
• Supply speakers for groups within Hays County
• Support the poetry, photo, and art contests of the Texas Night Sky Festival®
• Promote the “Be A Star” award to encourage all properties to have good lighting
• Create a small website to highlight activities, how to join and to point to relevant educational resources on other websites
• Create a 501(c)(3) for operating expenses
For more information, email Cindy Luongo Cassidy at CLC.TNSF@gmail.com.