Pedernales Electric Cooperative (PEC) is offering 10 local high school students the opportunity to visit the nation’s capital next summer as part of the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association’s 2020 Youth Tour program. Applications are now open.
Each summer, PEC’s teen delegates join more than 1,500 students from electric cooperatives across the country on an all-expenses-paid, week-long trip to Washington, D.C. PEC has participated in the program for more than 60 years.
Ten PEC delegates will have the opportunity to:
• Tour historical sites, including Arlington National Cemetery, Capitol Hill, the Lincoln Memorial, Mount Vernon, the Smithsonian Institution, the U.S. Supreme Court, the Washington National Cathedral, and more.
• Meet local political representatives and learn more about local and national government.
• Create lifelong friendships with students from all around the country.
To become a PEC delegate, students must:
• Have completed their high school sophomore, junior, or senior year by June 2020.
• Have a parent or legal guardian who is a PEC member and is in good standing.
• Submit an application and two referral letters online by Monday, Dec. 16, at 11:59 p.m.
Students are invited to learn more and apply by visiting pec.coop/youth-tour.