Fire Marshal says Thanksgiving barn fire in Kyle was accidental

The Hays County Fire Marshal issued a release Dec. 4 ruling the fire and explosion at a Dacy Lane barn on Nov. 27 as accidental in origin.

Losses were estimated at $10,000, said the release which was sent by Fire Marshal Scott Raven to the county’s public information officer Laureen Chernow, who distributed it to area media.

Raven said a resident was smoking a turkey in a smoker with a difficult to close door, and that embers were caught by north winds and spread to the barn and a travel trailer parked inside.

No mention was made of a propane tank that was initially thought to have ignited.

Raven did say the fire spread to another outbuilding and another vehicle before it was contained but that a nearby home was saved.

Comment on this Article

About Author

Comments are closed.