Available at PEC offices and partnering locations
KYLE, Texas — Pedernales Electric Cooperative (PEC) wants to make it easy for its members and communities to help save monarch butterflies, which is why it is offering complimentary packets of pollinator seed mix at any PEC office and partnering locations. The mix contains native wildflower seeds, including milkweed, an essential plant for butterfly survival. Seeds can be planted to help monarchs on their migration path through the Texas Hill Country.
“We’re proud to help protect our natural resources for future generations to enjoy,” PEC Chief Executive Officer Julie Caruthers Parsley said. “We encourage our members and communities to join us in preserving populations of monarchs that help pollinate and beautify this place we call home.”
Each year, millions of monarch butterflies migrate directly across PEC’s 8,100 square miles. But by 2021, monarchs may fall under the Endangered Species Act. That’s why in 2019, PEC proactively launched efforts to help protect monarchs by voluntarily implementing solutions that benefit the environment, wildlife, and its members long-term. Learn more about these efforts at pec.coop/monarchs.
Seed packets are available at any PEC office, and the following partnering locations while supplies last:
- City of Buda and Buda Public Library: 405 Loop St., Buda, Texas 78610
- City of San Marcos Discovery Center: 430 Riverside Drive, San Marcos, Texas 78666
- Hays Communities YMCA: 465 Buda Sportsplex Drive, Buda, Texas 78610
- Onion Creek Senior Center: 420 Barton Crossing, Buda, Texas 78610
- San Marcos Public Library: 625 E. Hopkins St., San Marcos, Texas 78666
- The Meadows Center at Texas State University: 201 San Marcos Springs Drive, San Marcos, Texas 78666
- Wimberley Community Library: 400 Farm-to-Market Road 2325 Wimberley, Texas 78676
- Wimberley Valley Chamber of Commerce, Convention Center and Visitors Bureau: 14100 Farm-to-Market Road 2325, Wimberley, Texas 78676
Parties interested in creating a monarch-friendly plot are encouraged to reach out to PEC experts at firstname.lastname@example.org.