As school districts across Texas are suspending extracurricular activities in wake of the Coronavirus outbreak, the state’s governing body over high school academic, athletic and musical competition is now following suit.
On Friday, the University Interscholastic League (UIL) announced it will suspend all of its sanctioned contests from March 16-29 in order to support the health and safety of students and their communities, according to a release.
Rehearsals and practices may be held at the discretion of the local school district during that time, per UIL officials.
Charles Breithaupt, UIL Executive Director, said the league is urging member schools and their communities to stay vigilant and take “every possible precaution to remain safe and healthy.”
“We understand there is a lot of uncertainty during this unprecedented time,” Breithaupt said. “Please know UIL leadership is working diligently to adjust to this rapidly evolving situation and will share updates as soon as possible.”
The UIL’s announcement comes on the heels of decisions made by school districts in recent days to halt extracurricular activity as a precaution to COVID-19.
Hays CISD Friday canceled all non-instructional activities within the district until March 31, including UIL related events. Dripping Springs ISD canceled multiple contests taking place during the week of Spring Break. One Dripping Springs baseball game scheduled for Saturday at 11 a.m. at Tiger Field against Pflugerville remains on schedule.
On March 12, Austin ISD canceled classes for the day as a result of the outbreak. Houston ISD earlier this week opted to cancel classes until at least March 30.
So what’s next?
While the situation surrounding COVID-19 remains fluid, UIL officials offered several possible timetables for district certification, or the finalization of district standings, to take place. All dates are preliminary and subject to change.
• Soccer – District Certification by April 11, possible bi-district games April 14
• Golf – District Certification by April 14, possible regional semifinal and finals April 20-23
• Track and field – District certification by April 11, possible area meets April 18
• Tennis – District certification by April 18, Regional semifinals and finals April 27-30
• Softball (no change) – District certification by April 28, bi-district games May 2
• Baseball (no change) – District certification by May 5, bi-district games by May 9
• District Academic and Speech – meets scheduled for March 23-28 are rescheduled for March 30-April 11. That includes speaking events.
• One Act Play – District/Bi-district certification deadline extended to April 7; Area certification deadline extended to April 14
• Regional Academic and Speech meets are scheduled for April 17-18; One Act Play regional meet is April 15-18. Sites are subject to change.
• Robotics – The FIRST Division FRC State meet scheduled April 2-4 has been postponed.
• State Wind Ensemble Festival for May 9 has been canceled
• State Solo and Ensemble Contest (no change) – May 30 and June 1 at Pflugerville ISD campuses.