The staff of the Hays Free Press once again has brought home the gold.
The newspaper was named the Best Newspaper for its size in all of south and west Texas by the South Texas Press Association Aug. 7 for 2019.
The award is based on points accumulated for awards in various categories.
One of the awards, the coveted Griff Singer Award of General Excellence, put the Hays Free Press at the top of the pile. Judges wrote, “Stories are well written; very nice, clean layout inside; good use of art throughout.”
In addition, judges gave the Hays Free Press first place in Page Design: “The Hays Free Press has the cleanest, most-professional design in this division. The paper could easily fit in a metro category thanks to purposeful design decisions, excellent typography and a splash of fun.”
In all the Kyle-Buda-based newspaper won:
• 1st – General Excellence
• 1st – Page Design
• 1st – Lifestyle Pages
• 3rd – Editorial writing, Cyndy Slovak-Barton
• 3rd – Humorous Column Writing – Clint Younts
• 1st – News Photos, Moses Leos III and Elizabeth Garcia
• 1st – Feature Photos, Moses Leos III and Katie Burrell
• 1st – News Writing, Exsar Arguello
• 3rd – Feature Writing, Exsar Arguello
• 3rd – Sports Coverage
• 2nd – Headline Writing
• 3rd – Display Advertising Design
The Hays Free Press won the sweepstakes by garnering 925 points in its category. Taking second place with 550 points was the Sealy News and taking third place was the Frio-Nueces Current with 475 points.