Suspect arrested in 2015 murders on Sledge Street

Staff Report

KYLE — Kyle Police arrested 47-year-old Larry Simon of Louisiana on two capital murder charges on Tuesday, Feb. 2, for a 2015 double homicide.

No bond was set. The city asked for a bond of $500,000, given the brutality of the murders and Simon’s previous failure to appear in court.

In 2015, Kyle police officers responded to a home in the 800 block of Sledge Street in reference to a welfare call, after a relative was concerned because they had not heard from the occupants of the home for several days. After receiving no answer at the door, police forced entry and found the bodies of James Wright, 45, and Tina Combs, 44.

Simon was a known associate of Wright and was identified as a person of interest early in the investigation. On Feb. 2, Kyle Police obtained an arrest warrant for Simon in connection with the deaths.

Chief Jeff Barnett provided a statement from the Wright family during a virtual conference on Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2021.

“Today, the Wright family wants to express gratitude to all of the many friends of our dear Jimmy that have been so supportive of us through these difficult years,” the statement read. “News of this arrest does not bring our family any joy. We only hope that if the suspect is found guilty, justice will help keep him from hurting another family the way he has hurt ours.”

The Wright family also requested that the media respects their privacy at this time.

While the investigation was extensive, Barnett said he is grateful for the team who worked on the case.

“I want to offer a special thanks and appreciation to the hard work and dedication of the detectives from the Kyle Police Department and the Texas Rangers who have continued to keep this case a priority since 2015,” Barnett said.

An autopsy report in 2016 ruled the deaths of Combs and Wright as a homicide, with the cause of death as gunshot wounds.

The case hung on for many years. As late as 2017, lab analysis for DNA testing from the Department of Public Safety had not yet been received.

Even then, Barnett and his department continued to investigate the case, until they had enough evidence to present to the Hays County District Attorney’s office.

Family members of the victims were frustrated, but Barnett said years ago he could not release information because, by doing so, it could jeopardize the case.

Comment on this Article

About Author

Comments are closed.