Hays County officials and residents gathered at the Hays County Courthouse Saturday to honor law enforcement personnel within Hays County that have given the ultimate sacrifice of giving their lives in the line of duty.
A proclamation was made by the Hays County Commissioners Court that recognized May 15 as Peace Officers Memorial Day and the week of May 12-15 as Police Week in Hays County.
FIVE OFFICERS THROUGHOUT THE YEARS HAVE DIED SERVING HAYS COUNTY WHILE ON DUTY. THEY INCLUDE:
• Deputy Sheriff Henry C. Banks – Hays County Sheriff’s Office (End of Watch, Nov. 16, 1873)
• Night Watchman Henry H. Joslin – Kyle Police Department (EOW, Jan. 31, 1905)
• Deputy Sheriff John S. Davis, Jr. – Hays County Sheriff’s Office (EOW, June 8, 1913)
• Trooper Randall W. Vetter – Texas Department of Public Safety (EOW, Aug. 7, 2000)
• Officer Kenneth J. Copeland – San Marcos Police Department (EOW, Dec. 4, 2017)
• Deputy Constable Manuel De La Rosa – Hays County Constable’s Office, Pct. 2 (EOW, Feb. 16, 2021)
The End of Watch Call is a ceremony in which the dispatcher makes one last call to the name of the fallen peace officer with all fellow personnel on hand to hear the call. A second call is made followed by a moment of radio silence to honor the officer’s life and service.