By Megan Wehring
HAYS CISD — Hays CISD named the committee responsible for redistricting the single-member election map.
The district is required redistrict the boundaries of its single-member trustee election districts based on the 2020 Census data. The HCISD Board of Trustees has named a Redistricting Advisory Committee (RAC) consisting of seven members: Jeff Barton, Celeste Castro, Sylvia Cruz, Jamie Fulenwider, Jackie Hooks and Jazz Loug.
A webpage was also created to include the information about the redistricting process and allow individuals to submit comments.
The committee will work with a demographer and an attorney during the process. Guidelines for redistricting single-member districts are listed below.
- Drawing districts to contain similar total voting age population size
- Drawing districts that contain contiguous and compact geographic areas
- Using easily identifiable geographic features as boundaries
- Maintaining communities of interest and minimizing dividing neighborhoods
- Considering the residential locations of current school board members in their separate districts
- Evaluating minority voting strength in terms of voting age population
- Avoiding retrogression of racial and language minorities as defined in the Voting Rights Act
This committee will consider redistricting options during the fall semester and a decision by the Board is expected to be made in December.